Walking Together Bulletin No. 53
“GRATEFUL FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2025/2026”
By Sr. Josephine Kamara – Regional Superior
The 2025-2026 academic year officially ended on the 17th of July 2026.
It began on September 9th, 2025, after 7 weeks of summer vacations,
characterized by heavy rains. It was a year of varied experiences: Academic
endeavors, Socio – cultural activities, religious activities (Thanksgiving),
Sports etc. all in a way to make teaching and learning interesting; for it has
always been our aim to give an integral education to the Girls.
To launch the academic year, we had as always, an Opening Mass in the
Parish Church, to thank God for the gift of life and ask his blessings for the
new academic year.
Despite limited resources and challenges, our pupils and staff showed
resilience and commitment, we are grateful to God, the parents, and all those
who supported us throughout this year. In a particular way we express our
gratitude to our constant supporters – Friends of “Walking Together” Japan,
whose hands though far away is constantly felt in the school. Year after year,
they have made life much more meaningful for our girls, we can count on a
healthy meal daily with clean drinking water from the school tap.
Our focus for 2025/ 2026 academic year was: "Quality
Learning". With God’s guidance and collective effort, we indeed made
steady progress toward that goal.
In December we had our Jubilee Thanksgiving Mass and Feast Day, in
January our Inter-House Athletics and Cultural Display. We celebrated
International Women’s Day, World Teachers Day, African Child’s Day and Sierra
Leone’s 65th Independence Anniversary with songs, drama and poems, some of them
written by the girls. Our Science Club, Debate Club and Brass Band Group are
very active, and they help promote conducive environment for learning.
A very particular celebration we had this year was the 75th
and 45th Anniversary celebrations of our Congregation – The
Clarissan Missionary Sisters. 75 years of Foundation and 45 years of the death
of our Mother Foundress, Blessed Mother Maria Ines. The girls and people of
Lunsar joined us in the thanksgiving Mass held on the 21st Juna
2026.
Once more, we extend sincere thanks to all who contributed to the
success of 2025/2026 year. With continued partnership and God’s blessing, Our
Lady of Guadalupe School will remain a center of excellence for Lunsar and
Marampa Chiefdom.
Thank you very much.
“FROM SETAGAYA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL”
July–August 2026
By Sr. Kazuko Shirahata
<August 10>
To everyone affected by the Kumamoto earthquake:
I can only imagine the immense hardships you are enduring. First, I pray that
those who lost their lives in this disaster may find eternal rest. My heart
goes out to all of you—those who lost your homes and have nowhere to live;
those enduring long periods of life in your cars; the elderly; those with
physical disabilities; and small children. I offer you my deepest sympathies.
Furthermore, when I consider the tireless efforts of the volunteers who have come
from all over Japan, the minor difficulties we face in our daily lives pale in
comparison. I wish to express my gratitude to everyone working so hard on the
ground.
This August marked the 81st anniversary of the
atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Many people offered heartfelt
prayers for peace. Yet, across the world, people continue to attack one another
and inflict suffering with weapons. I pray to God, asking that—rather than
causing suffering, I may endure it; rather than seeking to be comforted, I may
offer comfort; and rather than desiring to be loved, I may love others.
<July 17>
Since May is the month of Mary, we decided to
honor her—the Queen of Heaven and Earth—on the final day of the month, May
31st. We gathered flowers and candles and arranged a display for Mary on the
left side of the altar, decorating the space with a large candle and blue
cloth.
The ceremony went beautifully.
Everyone in the community, as well as the guests
who attended, was delighted. Afterward, while helping to tidy up, I was
preparing to step down from the altar area with another person to fold the
large cloth; however, my right foot stepped on the fabric, causing me to fall
onto the marble floor. I couldn't get up right away, so a sister helped me into
a wheelchair and took me to the shared room. The Provincial Superior
immediately called an ambulance, and the paramedics checked which hospital I
should be taken to.
It was quickly decided that I would go to
Setagaya Central Hospital, so I was transported there by ambulance. X-rays were
taken immediately, and I was told that I had a broken bone in my lower back
requiring surgery, so I would need to stay there overnight.
I was hospitalized at this hospital for a month.
Afterward, I transferred to Setagaya Memorial Hospital. Since this is a
facility specializing in rehabilitation, we meet daily to discuss the specific
exercises I will do. For physical therapy, the therapist tailors the sessions
to my individual needs while monitoring for any muscle or wound pain. I have
started practicing walking with a single cane, though my right leg does not
move very well. I also undergo brain training as part of my occupational therapy;
I draw pictures and sometimes play the piano. One day, I heard the sound of a
piano and asked if I could play; the staff agreed, and we gave it a try. There
are only two music books available, and since I haven't played in a long time,
I really need to practice. I am grateful to be able to borrow books as well.
I have a rehabilitation schedule every day, so I
cannot receive visitors in the morning. Visiting hours are from 4:00pm to 6:00pm.
Since I have nothing else to do, I spend my free time doing embroidery; I do it
because I enjoy it. I wouldn't know how to pass the time otherwise. Mr. and
Mrs. Kanno have also visited me many times. What I need most right now is
everyone's prayers. I ask for your continued support. Please continue to pray
for the "Walking Together" group. I, too, pray that God’s abundant
blessings may be upon you and your families.
As I reflect on various things, I find myself
thinking of all of you. Setagaya Memorial Hospital specializes in
rehabilitation, and I am grateful for the kindness of the nurses and physical
therapists here.
<August 19>
To everyone in the "Tomoni Ayumu Kai"
(Walking Together Group): Mr. and Mrs. Kanno have just left after visiting me.
They brought the rehabilitation shoes I had been waiting for—shoes that fit my
feet perfectly. Thank you very much. Tomorrow at 9:00am, Sister Kamoi will come
from the convent to pick me up, and I will return to the convent in
Sakurashinmachi. I have been here since July 1st—a total of one month and
twenty days—but thanks to an excellent rehabilitation therapist, it was a very
good hospital stay. I am grateful for your prayers and for God’s blessings.
Thank you for everything. From now on, back at the convent, I will work hard on
my recovery so that my right leg heals, allowing me to walk better and serve
effectively once more.
I am feeling well now. Thank you truly. It looks
like the heat will continue for a while, so please take good care of your
health. Every year, I have the opportunity to give thanks to God and to each of
you individually, because you have never ceased your efforts in support of this
wonderful mission in Sierra Leone, Africa.
“WE ARE GREATEFUL, BECAUSE WE LEARN EVERY
DAY”
By Instructor/Teacher Mr. Abu Fallah
Our Lady of Guadalupe Secondary school being a
girl’s school has a lot of hope and desire to make life better for the girl
child. It offers not only intellectual content of learning but also social and
cultural. We work to make learning interesting and meaningful for our girls.
Through the help of God, the Old Pupils
(Alumnae) and the School Administration, we had the joy of getting a School
Brass Band this concluded academic year. The band started with 30 young vibrant
and smart pupils who were willingly put in their effort, time, and sacrifice to
see that the band of the school is portrayed through music.
Music theory interpreted into the sound of
instruments is our primary goal, that is, to be able to read and interpret
musical notes accordingly. For many years we have been looking forward to that
– getting a Brass band of our own, so that the girls can learn how to play
different instruments and entertain the school during celebrations.
To meet up with the launching of the group on
12th December, which is the Feast Day of the school and the 60th anniversary of
the Secondary Sector, we started the practices four months before, we met at
least twice a week to achieve our aim.
Because of the commitment and dedication of the
girls, we had an outstanding performance on the school's anniversary, and this
triggered a lot of joy and admiration from parents and the Lunsar township. The
girls really enjoy playing in the band and they do so at other celebrations of
our sister schools and the mission as well.
Up-to-date, the band is effectively functioning,
and we hope to keep practicing and making progress in the field, so that our
girls will not only interpret and beat songs within the school premises and
Lunsar, but to go out to the world and be able to adapt and partake anywhere
classical music is played.
Thank you very much.
“MY HEARTFELT GRATITUDE AND APPRECIATION”
Letter by Kadiatu Alice Kanu – University
Scholarship Graduate
Dear Sponsors,
I write this letter with a heart full
of joy, humility, and immense gratitude to God and you, my sponsors. As I reflect on my journey over the past four
years at the university, I am very much aware of the fact that my success and
graduation would have been entirely impossible without your unwavering support.
Four years ago,
I found myself in a position where I had no one to turn to for my education.
The burden of school fees and university expenses was a weight I could not lift
on my own. Without your intervention, I would have been forced to drop out of
school, leaving my dreams unfulfilled. You stepped into my life when I felt
completely alone, and you became my hope and my foundation.
I want to also
thank the Clarissan Missionary Sisters through whom I got connected to your
organization, their relentless dedication in following me up as I struggled
with university life gave me the peace of mind to focus on my studies;
alongside you my wonderful sponsors, who went beyond doing your absolute best
to ensure I never lacked the resources to move forward.
Because you
believed in me and took up the responsibility that no one else could, I have
successfully completed my university education. You did not just pay my fees;
you transformed my future and gave me a chance to build a meaningful career and
life. Words will never be enough to repay the sacrifices you made for me, but I
pray that the Almighty God blesses each and every one of you abundantly. May He
replenish everything you have spent on me a thousandfold and continue to
strengthen you all in your mission of helping the helpless.
Thank you for
being my support, my family, and my guardians when I had no one. I promise to
make you proud and to extend the same kindness you showed me to others in need.
With the
highest respect and deepest gratitude,
Yours
sincerely,
CLARISSAN MISSIONARIES OF THE BLESSED
SACRAMENT
Fiscal year September 2025 to August
2026
By Sr. Esmeralda Franco Leon, Area
Chief Accountant
Lunsar, Sierra
Leone, Africa 2026
Every year is an opportunity to thank
God and each one of you because you have never stopped working for this
beautiful mission in Sierra Leone, Africa. We feel in our hearts a great desire
to deeply thank you for all the effort and sacrifice involved in continuing
this work despite all the difficulties that may arise. Yet another year, you
show us that your dedication and generosity are tireless, and we will be
eternally grateful to you. We ask the good Lord to continue pouring abundant
blessings on each of you and your families; may God be your reward.
Your financial help not only covers
urgent material needs but also plants hope and generates deep gratitude in the
hearts of those who receive this benefit daily.
Below is the number of students at each of our schools.
Students school year 2025-2026
|
SCHOOL |
TOTAL Students |
|
Tamagawa
Shirayuri kindergarten |
387 |
|
Our Lady
of Guadalupe Primary school |
914 |
|
Our Lady
of Guadalupe Secondary School |
758 |
|
Maria
Ines Secondary School |
241 |
|
Maria
Ines Vocational school |
260 |
|
Total |
2,560 |
We appreciate the help of walking together in this
2025–2026 school year. Below I describe the amounts received.
|
RECIVED BY WALKING TOGETHER
SEPTEMBER 2025 TO AUGUST 2026 |
|
|
SCHOOL
LUNCH SUPPORT |
41,718.64 USD |
|
SCHOOL
EDUCATION SUPPORT |
7,620 USD |
|
CHRISTMAS
GIFT SUPPORT |
642 USD |
|
KINDERGARTEN
TEACHER SALARY SUPPORT |
5,080 USD |
|
MULTIPURPOSE
SUPPORT |
3,170 USD |
|
SPECIAL
LUNCH SUPPORT |
642 USD |
|
OLG
MEDICAL SUPPORT |
625 USD |
|
MILE 91
CLINIC ASINTANCE |
1,250 USD |
|
TOTAL |
60,747.64 USD |
SCHOOL LUNCH SUPPORT 41,718.64 USD
Thanks to your continued collaboration,
we continue to provide our children with food that strengthens their bodies.
This means our children receive a daily plate of balanced food enriched with
fish, which, because we are a fishing-based country, is easy to obtain at a low
cost and provides protein and good nutrients.
Next, I will describe the ingredients
that are bought per month, with funds for Walking Together.
|
No. |
COOKING ITEMS PER MONTH BY
WALKING TOGETHER |
|
|
1 |
Rice |
110 bags
of 25 kg. |
|
2 |
Fire Wood |
326 bundle of firewood and transportation |
|
3 |
Palm oil |
340 liters
of oil |
|
4 |
Salt |
1 bag de
20 kg, |
|
5 |
Maggi
(condiments) |
28 boxes |
|
6 |
Onion |
4 bags of
20 kg. |
|
7 |
Fish |
26 boxes |
|
8 |
Casaba
leaves, potato leaves |
480 dozen |
|
9 |
Conchoun
(type of beans) |
4 bags of
50 kg. |
|
10 |
Black
beans |
4 bags of
50 kg. |
|
11 |
Peanut |
4 bags of
50 kg |
|
12 |
Kitchen
utensils |
Pot,
Soap, fibers for scrubbing, plastic containers, cooking spoons, knives (some
things are only bought at the beginning of the school year) |
|
13 |
Salary of
cooks: 4 women. |
Each
month, a payment is given to the cooks who make the food for the students
from Monday to Friday. |
SCHOOL EDUCATION SUPPORT: 7,620 USD
Education is the most powerful tool to
transform the future of children and youth in Sierra Leone, being the only way
to break the cycle of poverty and gender inequality. Below, I’m attaching the
list of kindergarten students who benefit from a school scholarship and the
materials given to each of them at the start of the school year. Also included
is the list of university students that Sister Josephine Kamara follows
throughout the year, and she is the one who receives scholarship applications
and handles the payments for the university students herself.
The scholarship for the 20 children of
Tamagawa Shirayuri includes 2 Uniforms and one polo shirt, 2 notebooks, 5
pencils, 1 box of crayons, 2 workbooks, identification card, cleaning materials
(soap, toilet paper, bleach and disinfectant)
MULTIPURPOSE SUPPORT: 3,170 USD
This year we plan to repair the
bathrooms of the kindergarten, attached are photos of the condition of the
building. And a part was used to finish a water drainage gutter at OLG primary
school.
KINDERGARTEN TEACHER SALARY SUPPORT:
5,080 USD
Every year, with their generous
contribution, we provide a better salary and the possibility for the families
of our teachers to have greater economic support opportunities. The country's
economic situation is tough, but thanks to their work and contribution, they
can have a decent salary and continue their educational work professionally for
the benefit of Sierra Leonean children.
*Note: We have received lists of the 20 kindergarteners receiving
scholarships (for school supplies, etc.) and the 10 university students
receiving scholarships, as well as a list of staff members receiving salary
support; however, we have omitted these from the publication out of
consideration for personal information protection. (Editor)
CHRISTMAS GIFT SUPPORT: 642 USD
Christmas is always a time when every
child excitedly remembers the birth of Jesus and around that, eagerly looks
forward to a toy as a gift, and this brings them great joy. They never miss
school because they enthusiastically await their gifts. Thank you for being
part of that innocent and childlike smile of the little kids.
SPECIAL LUNCH SUPPORT: 642 USD
Every year this is a very important
celebration that is prepared with a lot of dedication, where all the students,
teachers, and staff who work in our schools, in a joyful atmosphere, prepare
some events like dances, poems, or performances to commemorate December 12th
and the special food for everyone.
MEDICAL SUPPORT 625 USD
With this contribution, we have been
able to send some of our primary school students to the hospital for malaria
treatment.
MILE 91 CLINIC ASSINTANCE 1,250 USD
Thanks to this contribution, tests and
medicines for malaria.
This concludes the financial report for
the 2025/2026 fiscal year. Thank you very much.
“WE ARE GRATEFUL FOR OUR HISTORY – OUR LADY
OF
GUADALUPE SCHOOL, LUNSAR”
By Sr. Josephine Kamara – Regional Superior
The Our Lady of Guadalupe
Primary and Secondary School, Lunsar, located in the Northwest Region of Sierra
Leone is an educational institution owned by the Clarissan Missionary Sisters
of the Blessed Sacrament. The school was established in September 1960 when the
first four Sisters arrived.
The Foundress, Blessed María Ines Teresa, a great
missionary and a woman of vision and dreams sent the Sisters to Lunsar to
dedicate their lives and service to the people, especially through the
education of the Girl-Child who by then had little or no access to schooling.
She wanted to give girls a well-founded education so they could become good
people who would build a civilization of love. Girls who would make a
difference in society for the values that would be instilled in them.
On arrival, the Sisters met with a lot of
surprises, the place, which later became their new home (as they referred to
it) was lonesome and very poor with no access to basic amenities like food,
portable water and electricity. Their house was a small local building
surrounded by high elephant grass and lots of reptiles, especially cobra
snakes. The sisters settled down and four
days later began the mission for which they were sent – the education of girls.
The 1960 school year began with only a handful of
girls, a reason for which they had to embark on a house-to-house campaign,
encouraging parents to send their girls to school. The responses were mixed:
some parents sent their daughters with little conviction, while others refused
outright, believing that “funds should not be wasted on a girl, for she will
end up in her husband’s kitchen.” Even those parents who refused challenged the
sisters to go ahead and educate the girls if they so desire - considering the
whole enterprise a waste of time and resources. The sisters gladly accepted
this challenge and have continued this work from 1960 to the present.
Customarily, during the Academic year, the school
carries out a lot of activities both academic and socio-cultural. Today the
Primary school alone has an enrollment of almost a thousand girls and for this
reason and many others we give thanks to God Almighty and to our many
benefactors and collaborators especially of “Walking Together” in Japan. Thank
you all for making life different for us and our children. We remain grateful-
Messages from Supporters
💙 Happy Easter! Jesus walked with us on
the road to Emmaus. When you are in pain or sadness, remember that Jesus is
with you, feel loved, and share your love with many friends. In unity, M.T.
💙May Sisters Shirahata and Yoshida and
Mr. Kanno be healed and well. May the children of Lunsar have their needs met
for food, education, and other necessities. May the Lord's grace, guidance, and
help be upon the sisters of the Clares and the staff of the "Walking
Together" group in their work. K.S.
💙"Give with all your heart, and
happiness will be yours." Sharing means wishing for the happiness of
others and putting them first. Reading this "joy of sharing" brought
me peace of mind. Sister Shirahata's "Thank you Africa" gave me a
good understanding of the situation there. I pray for Sister Shirahata to be
well. Thank you as always, Mr. Kanno. T.O.
💙 I aspire to make the joy of sharing—which
Sr. Josephine embodies —a part of my own daily life, even in the smallest of
things. I
could easily picture the daily life of Sister Shirahata experiences in Sierra
Leone. Thank you, and I pray for your recovery from your injury. K.K.
💙I am nearly 79 years old. I have had a
long-standing relationship with your organization. Let us both keep doing our
best. N.T.
💙The spirit of sharing not only uplifts
the lives of others but also enriches one's own life. One can truly say,
"Sharing brings happiness." Ms. Marie S. Momo—how wonderful. N.M.
💙✟ Peace of the Lord. Please take good
care of yourselves at headquarters during these sweltering days. I wonder if
the children in Sierra Leone are also being affected by climate change? I pray
that they remain healthy and well. Y.S.
💙 Thank you for sending such a
content-rich newsletter. I found the series on the history of Sierra Leone very
interesting to read. Thank you also for the translation. N.T.
💙Thank you for newsletter No. 52. Seeing
Sister Shirahata’s smile and reading that Mr. Kanno’s treatment concluded
successfully following his June check-up filled me with gratitude to God. The
newsletter always brings so much happiness. Y.T.
💙 Thank you for your continued support.
I read the article "The Joy of Sharing" in Newsletter No. 52 with
great care; I found the message deeply convincing and agree with it
wholeheartedly. Y.N.
💙It was hot, and with so many other
stalls around, sales were slow at first. However, the three of us working the
stall gave it our all, actively selling to people we knew, and managed to bring
in this amount. We’re all physically exhausted, but we’re keeping at it. M.F.
💙 Please pray for my home region of the
Kyushu Kumamoto earthquake. Y.A.
♪ News from Headquarters ♪
《Obituary》 Mr. Kazumi Domoto, a long-time supporter, passed away on July 6. We
pray that the Lord’s comfort may abound for his bereaved family.
▼ We extend our heartfelt sympathies to all
those affected by the major earthquake in Kumamoto, as well as those suffering
from the damage caused by torrential rains and storms in various regions. We
pray that God’s help and encouragement may be abundantly bestowed upon everyone
who is currently enduring such difficult times.
Following the Kumamoto earthquake, we received
the following email from Regional Superior Josephine:
"I heard the news about the earthquake in
Japan this morning. We are united in prayer, trusting in God's intervention and
the assistance of experts. All the sisters of the Missionary Sisters of St.
Clare wish to convey our deepest sympathies and prayers."
Picture
The photo above shows the OLG Secondary School
Science Club conducting an experiment. Please also take a look at the report
from Regional Superior Josephine at the beginning of this issue. We are transitioning
rapidly from days of intense heat to much cooler weather; please take care of
your health. (Katsujiro Kanno)
▼ Pictures
P1 -The opening Mass at Maria Ines Secondary School. Everyone unites in heart to offer praise and prayer as we welcome the new school year.
P3 -To see off Yamamoto san and Watanabe san, who came to visit
me (Sr. Shirahata).
P4 -Brass band members and Mr. Abu (the man in the back)
-Ms. Kadiatu Alice Kanu
P7 -OLG elementary school students and Principal Sister Blanca Lopez
(Translation by A. Yamamoto)